Thursday 17 April 2008

Tate Modern et al and the unsolicited art of the contemporary

Having just enjoyed wonderful public attention both nationally and internationally (check press for details) with my opening exhibition of Road Kill The Last Supper at Centerspace Bristol.  I thought, buoyed as I am and truly believing in my work (as do quite a lot of others).  Work which is created from my own sweat and tears with no other, added or hidden labour involved.   The type of labour say, taking form in an art factory (the succubi of the art world), or associated by-product of such an institution.  I prepared myself to ask how I might get a proposal into the Tate Modern ( et al ) constabulary in the proper manner.   

So, set and jellied for the purpose, off I went with gusto, and after streaming the telephone number to Tate Modern enquiries with a bit of research on the web, I called and had the pleasure of a very brief but bright conversation with a young man.  During the duration of the call, which was about 30 seconds, I was told "You need an agent."  

Hmm I thought that's a bit odd, and obviously my miss-understanding of the art process complete.  In my naivety I thought contemporary art had to be inspired, accomplished and capturing the zeitgeist of the moment, for the inspiration and imagination of future generations. Well it seems I think that I was wrong apparently I need an agent.  007 maybe he's licensed to Kill.    Oh dear, just another Road Kill Moment!    

No comments: